Oliver Smith: Software/Performance/Reliability Engineer
My primary skillset is with C++ under Linux with additional specialization in cross-platform development, performance engineering and backend game systems.
I've also spent a lot of time working on build/pipeline systems, especially dealing with cross-platform/environment build tooling: I have several years experience using automake, cmake, scons, msbuild and xcode; various CI and build systems including bamboo, jenkins, final builder. I've done various amounts of work on code-generation/DSL systems as part of build tooling, performance instrumentation/analysis and debugging systems.
Past work includes 2 years as a Production Engineer at Facebook working on the Feed team, 2 years on the World of Warcraft server team and 9 years on the WWII Online Server Team, media companies including The Guardian Online and Granada TV and the UKs first dial-up ISP (Demon Internet).
For an informal background, see my "About" page.
I love to create software that empowers others and feeds creativity. For me, the result is in seeing the lightbulb go-on for someone else using what I've provided.
- (2014) TradeDangerous: Trade planner and route optimizer for Elite Dangerous, started as a way to learn Python.
- (1984) A MUD language as my first C program,
- APIs, admin tools and a network mail-exchange for assorted BBSes,
- Mail systems for AmiTCP,
- A mail-based perl automation suite for the administration of all .UK domains,
- A community support site for WarBirds online flightsim in '97,
- A voting-based community bug/feature feedback tool for Dark Age of Camelot (yes, it looks like Facebook but note the year),
- Assorted community self-help tools for various games,
- A house-layout editor for EverQuest2,
- And the occasional tutorial,
2021 Resume: .docx
- Aug 2020-Now: Super Evil Megacorp, Engine & Tools
- Feb 2019-Aug 2020: SpaceX, Software Delivery Engineering
- 2016-Feb 2019: Super Evil Megacorp, Engine & Tools
- 2014-2016: Facebook, Production Engineer, Feed
- 2012-2014: Blizzard Entertainment, Senior Software Engineer, Server for World of WarCraft
- 2005-2012: PlayNet Inc, Lead Server Engineer for WWII Online
- 2003-2005: PlayNet Inc, Server Engineer for WWII Online
Earlier: Demon Internet, Granada Media, The Guardian Online, News International